Chrysler - 1999 ram van 1500 rusted frame not safe to drive

Aug 03, 2010
review #192275

I have bought Chryslers in the past,but after the conversion van that I bought new has rusted frame with holes in it I think I have had enough .It was bad enough that the body started rusting before 7/70 and was not covered because it was a conversion van.

Now at 10 years old the front frame members are rusted and falling apart.What more can I say I will not pay for online advice and any car company should be able to build a vehicle that the frame will not rust out in 10 years.Note never been in a major accident with vehicle and am the original owner

a9707e2
Had an experience with Chrysler?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
nothapi

Aug 04

Well, I guess the arrogant bastards that sit at big desks in penthouse offices probably think that nothing will happen if they just ignore the stupidity they create. I will NEVER buy a new or used Dodge product, Chrysler product nor will I recommend anyone buy their junk. As for closed rail frames, you would think anyone with a 3rd grade education would know that closed rails are just asking for rust. I guess the auto makers are more interested in profits than integrity. It is about time for some protection from engineers who KNOWINGLY make *** that will fall apart while being driven and cause loss of property and life. We need a class action lawsuit to rectify this but where are all the lawyers? Not driving Mopar *** ! ! !

UGH Chrysler sucks

Aug 04 Cleveland, Ohio

It has been nearly a year since my steering failed on my 2002 ram van. I have had no luck with Chrysler on this and I am told that it is due to where I live. (Cleveland). I still have the van and run it in the driveway in hopes a solution comes along.

thegriswalds

Jun 28 Rolla, Missouri

Hey, don't feel so bad. I have a one owner Ram 2500 van and I only have 32k on it! Used for vacations, A1 condition. Just some surface rust on outer body jacking point. Well, guess what? Was out on the highway and it damned near gave me a heart attack when I hit a bump and the steering wheel didn't respond afterwards! Was towed to a tow yard off the highway where the guys there just laughed and said they see this all the time: the front frame rails rust from the inside out, causing catastrophic steering failure when the steering bracket just falls off of the frame(well, what was left of it) rail. Been driving Dodges all my life( I am 52), and yes, I have had every generation of Dodge Van since the mid 60's van. Back in the day(70's & 80's), you would expect the Dodge Van body to rust, but the frame(unibody design) would not rust in half! My Van cost me over 35k new: When you pay that kind of money back then, you would expect it to at least have a reasonable frame reliability. I do regret, and I do believe, that parking it on gravel next to my garage during the summer months must have helped it along, but that is when we used it! We replaced it with a Chevy(my first GM!) Suburban and will never buy Dodge again. I wonder how many folks have died from this generation of van when this happens. I hypothesize that this defect will only intensify in coming years.....

May 13

Had just bought 2002 3500 ram van with 56 k miles same thing we're can I find a repair frame or can the manufacturer advise me what to do ? Niagara :eek buffalo NY()

ken

Jul 03

look for a reliable welder like I did and have it reinforced . if the welders any good that should do the trick

Joneskeklv

Dec 15, 2013 Jackson, Michigan

I have the exact same problem with my 2000 Ram Van which only has 122K on it and it had 52K when I bought it back in 2006 and it's a shame after driving it for only 7 years it's unsafe to drive and unrepairable so I'm told. I have a family size of ten counting me and my wife and I am totally confused and dissatisfied with my family vehicle situation. The van mechanically is sound with no major issues aside of this one with the rusty frame that has totally affected my steering. If someone can help me with this one please do so my email Joneskeklv@sbcglobal.net.

bebedith

Oct 28, 2013 Melvindale, Michigan

I have a Dodge Ram 100 van that also has a rusted frame. This van only has 149,000 miles on it and is in good mechanical condition otherwise. The idler are fell off and now I am told the frame rails need to be replaced. Dodge doesn't make them anymore and the mechanic can't find any in the nationwide database that are in acceptable condition. I will report this to the NHTSA. Also I have the name of the senior vice president of quality for Chrysler, Doug Betts. I am told that Ford an Toyota have compensated consumers for this problem. I will post if I get a response from Betts.

Oct 31, 2013

Thanks bebedith. We may be closer to getting this fixed. I sure hope so, my van is so rusty, it may not even move. I guess we know that in the list of honest car manufacturers, Toyota puts Dodge to shame. I own a 97 Subaru that runs like a top and has 169 K and the rust is nowhere near the same as my van. It is a pleasure to work on my Subaru. One thing I cannot figure out...the frame metal is so heavy yet so destroyed by rust and the body has hardly any rust at all. The frame seems to have become the anode but what good is that?

Feb 21, 2013 Hanover, New Hampshire

Thanks for the website...probably just another gov smokescreen. From what I have seen, the gov doesn't really care about the consumer, we are just another bunch of cattle grazing at the trough. BTW, I have a 1986 Dodge Ram 4X4 that has seen a lot of salt here in NH and it has a strong frame with little rust. Nothing like the 2000 conversion van that has holes in the frame.

Jan 04, 2013 Hanover, New Hampshire

I will NEVER buy another Dodge again...I have a 1986 Dodge Ram and the frame is perfect and it has been in the snow and ice since it was new.. There is no excuse for the failure of the frames on their newer trucks. They can keep their junk. Better to crash it into the local Dodge dealership.

dmcdj

Oct 31, 2012

Oct 2012. My 1999 Dodge Van was pulling to the right. Replaced front right caliper and was still pulling. Had it inspected and front left frame rail is junk. The frame bends back and forth when turning. It only has 117k miles and the drives great. It looks very difficult to repair at a safe level. All the frames behind the front wheels and all the way back are fine. Body's in great shape. Looks like it might be going to the junk yard. Class action suit should be filed.

John

Oct 24, 2012

Same issue here, Im forced to remove the entire fornt end and basically weld and patch as much as i can to salvage the money ive been pouring into this truck, its a shame... Class action suit would be helpful...

Mark

Jan 04, 2013 Utica, Michigan

I have this same problem with my 1999 Dodge van B1500 series. Idler arm broke away from frame due to rust. The front frame looks like swiss cheese and this is where all the steering components mount. Lost steering at 40mph we could have been killed. Everyone needs to file complaint with the NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Authority. Once enough complaints are received they will force Chsrysler to fix the problem.

Del Schier

Oct 10, 2012

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 Van with only 93K on it. Last night the steering failed, it wouldn't turn to the right. I drove it around in the parking lot to figure out if I could drive home slowly on back roads turning only left and it failed completely. The frame is rusted out and the left front steering pivot failed.

I am interested in a class action suit. I am astounded that they could have built a car that has total steering loss from frame rust in only 10 years.

It is a good thing I wasn't on the highway when it happened.

Rusty Ram Van in IL

Oct 01, 2012

We purchased our 1999 Ram Van 1500 in 2005. Transmission broke on it a couple of years later, only about 85,000 miles on it. The van sat in our driveway a few years, starting it up regularly with no problems. Had the trans rebuilt on it and replaced front brakes and rotors 01/2012, being then aware of the rusting issue only detected minor rust on the front frame that we thought was consistent with the vans age. Now in 10/2012, just 9 monts later of mostly short/close distance operation began experiencing steering issues("loose" steering), take a look under the front end and sure enough, an exponential increase in rust including a gap being eaten away on the drivers side of the frame. And to think I was considering taking my family on a roadtrip in this potential death trap.

alan

Sep 22, 2012

I have a 98 dodge conversion van I have welded the front frame once it is still rotting away.

Larry

Sep 12, 2012

I have a 2001 Dodge 3500 Ram Van with 144,000 miles. The front end by the steering box is rusted out and broken. My mechanic said, "DO NOT DRIVE IT AT ALL — IT'S DANGEROUS". I called Chrysler Corporate today it is not on recall and there is nothing they will do. They said — sorry. I called my local Dodge dealership and they don't want it for a trade-in. I'm looking into having it repaired if possible. I need a van for work. Toyota recalled all their Tacomas years ago because of the same issue. They bought them back for 1.5 x the bluebook price.

1999 dodge van 1500 frame rust

Sep 05, 2012

My van runs well and was well kept, but the front frame is so rusted that no mechanic will pass an inspection on it. They said to junk it. I am not happy. Please let me know if anyone starts a class action lawsuit.

Downriver Michigan

Aug 14, 2012

1999 conversion van 65000 miles one owner. Still nice interior & engine good but not safe to drive frame rusted out. It's been sitting in the drivesway. don't know what to do with it.

Jim

Jul 09, 2012

My brothers 99 dodge van (1500) had to be scrapped last year due to rotted frame. Just got word today that my 2000 dodge 3500 maxi van is in the same rotten condition and I was advised to junk it. Dodge should be compensating us for these defective vehicles.

1-20 of 34 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Chrysler.
Filing a new complaint about
×