• show-popup

Product / Service Conversion Van
Location St. Clair Shores, Michigan
Category Dealers
Views 1260

I have bought Chryslers in the past,but after the conversion van that I bought new has rusted frame with holes in it I think I have had enough .It was bad enough that the body started rusting before 7/70 and was not covered because it was a conversion van.

Now at 10 years old the front frame members are rusted and falling apart.What more can I say I will not pay for online advice and any car company should be able to build a vehicle that the frame will not rust out in 10 years.Note never been in a major accident with vehicle and am the original owner 2e44e94

Comments (28) Hide comments
Showing 20 of 28 comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Dec 15, 2013  from Jackson, Michigan
I have the exact same problem with my 2000 Ram Van which only has 122K on it and it had 52K when I bought it back in 2006 and it's a shame after driving it for only 7 years it's unsafe to drive and unrepairable so I'm told. I have a family size of ten counting me and my wife and I am totally confused and dissatisfied with my family vehicle situation. The van mechanically is sound with no major issues aside of this one with the rusty frame that has totally affected my steering. If someone can help me with this one please do so my email Joneskeklv@sbcglobal.net.
Reply to Joneskeklv

Oct 28, 2013  from Melvindale, Michigan
I have a Dodge Ram 100 van that also has a rusted frame. This van only has 149,000 miles on it and is in good mechanical condition otherwise. The idler are fell off and now I am told the frame rails need to be replaced. Dodge doesn't make them anymore and the mechanic can't find any in the nationwide database that are in acceptable condition. I will report this to the NHTSA. Also I have the name of the senior vice president of quality for Chrysler, Doug Betts. I am told that Ford an Toyota have compensated consumers for this problem. I will post if I get a response from Betts.
Reply to bebedith

Oct 31, 2013
Thanks bebedith. We may be closer to getting this fixed. I sure hope so, my van is so rusty, it may not even move. I guess we know that in the list of honest car manufacturers, Toyota puts Dodge to shame. I own a 97 Subaru that runs like a top and has 169 K and the rust is nowhere near the same as my van. It is a pleasure to work on my Subaru. One thing I cannot figure out...the frame metal is so heavy yet so destroyed by rust and the body has hardly any rust at all. The frame seems to have become the anode but what good is that?

Feb 21, 2013  from Hanover, New Hampshire
Thanks for the website...probably just another gov smokescreen. From what I have seen, the gov doesn't really care about the consumer, we are just another bunch of cattle grazing at the trough. BTW, I have a 1986 Dodge Ram 4X4 that has seen a lot of salt here in NH and it has a strong frame with little rust. Nothing like the 2000 conversion van that has holes in the frame.

Jan 04, 2013  from Hanover, New Hampshire
I will NEVER buy another Dodge again...I have a 1986 Dodge Ram and the frame is perfect and it has been in the snow and ice since it was new.. There is no excuse for the failure of the frames on their newer trucks. They can keep their junk. Better to crash it into the local Dodge dealership.

Oct 31, 2012
Oct 2012. My 1999 Dodge Van was pulling to the right. Replaced front right caliper and was still pulling. Had it inspected and front left frame rail is junk. The frame bends back and forth when turning. It only has 117k miles and the drives great. It looks very difficult to repair at a safe level. All the frames behind the front wheels and all the way back are fine. Body's in great shape. Looks like it might be going to the junk yard. Class action suit should be filed.
Reply to dmcdj

Oct 24, 2012
Same issue here, Im forced to remove the entire fornt end and basically weld and patch as much as i can to salvage the money ive been pouring into this truck, its a shame... Class action suit would be helpful...
Reply to John

Jan 04, 2013  from Utica, Michigan
I have this same problem with my 1999 Dodge van B1500 series. Idler arm broke away from frame due to rust. The front frame looks like swiss cheese and this is where all the steering components mount. Lost steering at 40mph we could have been killed. Everyone needs to file complaint with the NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Authority. Once enough complaints are received they will force Chsrysler to fix the problem.
Reply to Mark

Oct 10, 2012
I have a 2002 Ram 1500 Van with only 93K on it. Last night the steering failed, it wouldn't turn to the right. I drove it around in the parking lot to figure out if I could drive home slowly on back roads turning only left and it failed completely. The frame is rusted out and the left front steering pivot failed.

I am interested in a class action suit. I am astounded that they could have built a car that has total steering loss from frame rust in only 10 years.

It is a good thing I wasn't on the highway when it happened.
Reply to Del Schier

Oct 01, 2012
We purchased our 1999 Ram Van 1500 in 2005. Transmission broke on it a couple of years later, only about 85,000 miles on it. The van sat in our driveway a few years, starting it up regularly with no problems. Had the trans rebuilt on it and replaced front brakes and rotors 01/2012, being then aware of the rusting issue only detected minor rust on the front frame that we thought was consistent with the vans age. Now in 10/2012, just 9 monts later of mostly short/close distance operation began experiencing steering issues("loose" steering), take a look under the front end and sure enough, an exponential increase in rust including a gap being eaten away on the drivers side of the frame. And to think I was considering taking my family on a roadtrip in this potential death trap.
Reply to Rusty Ram Van in IL

Sep 22, 2012
I have a 98 dodge conversion van I have welded the front frame once it is still rotting away.
Reply to alan

Sep 12, 2012
I have a 2001 Dodge 3500 Ram Van with 144,000 miles. The front end by the steering box is rusted out and broken. My mechanic said, "DO NOT DRIVE IT AT ALL — IT'S DANGEROUS". I called Chrysler Corporate today it is not on recall and there is nothing they will do. They said — sorry. I called my local Dodge dealership and they don't want it for a trade-in. I'm looking into having it repaired if possible. I need a van for work. Toyota recalled all their Tacomas years ago because of the same issue. They bought them back for 1.5 x the bluebook price.
Reply to Larry

Sep 05, 2012
My van runs well and was well kept, but the front frame is so rusted that no mechanic will pass an inspection on it. They said to junk it. I am not happy. Please let me know if anyone starts a class action lawsuit.
Reply to 1999 dodge van 1500 frame rust

Aug 14, 2012
1999 conversion van 65000 miles one owner. Still nice interior & engine good but not safe to drive frame rusted out. It's been sitting in the drivesway. don't know what to do with it.
Reply to Downriver Michigan

Jul 09, 2012
My brothers 99 dodge van (1500) had to be scrapped last year due to rotted frame. Just got word today that my 2000 dodge 3500 maxi van is in the same rotten condition and I was advised to junk it. Dodge should be compensating us for these defective vehicles.
Reply to Jim

Jul 01, 2012
Bought a 2000 B3500 Ram van secondhand in 2006 with 135000 miles on it. Used it to haul produce for my family's business and general driving. In 2009 one of the master cylinder lines blew out. Had that replaced. A year later my mechanic had to replace the tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints on both sides and the front shocks. This past March the left front frame joint snapped while I was driving. Fortunately I did not lose control though it would no longer turn to the right more than a quarter turn. I managed to limp home making left turns. Had my mechanic check it out and he praised my driving skills because the cross member was on top of the side rail. If it had been any other part it could have been fixed. So disgusted.

If there is a class-action suit can I still get in on it if I sold the van as scrap? :(
Reply to Pam Herbert

Apr 20, 2012
I am so glad I found this site...I just sent ROMILOUS an email and we should all get together and make Chrysler REPAIR the frames...I am not willing to take a hit on this and let them just pay a paltry amount. They should know what they are doing if they are in the auto manufacturing industry and a heavy metal frame has NO EXCUSE for the amount and speed with which it rusted on these vans. They need to be held accountable for their vehicles. Mine started rusting badly 5 years ago and I was appalled. I tried grinding, brushing, painting and every year it got worse. The body and running gear are fine. I want my van back. I paid 30K for it back in 2000 and have only put 87K on it. It is unsafe. Suspension and steering contact points are unsafe. This is a heavy truck and needs a strong frame. I want my van back.

Apr 01, 2012
I baught my 1999 2500 van new took care of it perfectly and runs like a charm.Had the same issues with rust fives years after I purchased it.Only to have my mechanic say the front frame is rusted to no repair.Is their a lawsuit out there because im in.We shouldnt have to swallow this loss.
Reply to john muller long island n.y

Reply to john muller long island n.y

Apr 01, 2012
Guys you all need to start sending me emails with your contact information so that I can add this information to my lawsuit against chrysler.

email me dabeleg13@gmail.com Send me pics of your damage or anything that pertains to the frames rusting out.
Reply to Romilous

Read next Chrysler complaint

Dodge lied about buying back my truck

In 2005 I bought a new 3500 dodge ram i started having trouble with with in months of buying it.I to...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Chrysler.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug